Sift together flour, baking powder, and cocoa. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy and beat in Syrup. Stir in half of the flour mixture. Turn dough on to working surface and knead in remaining flour mixture. Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness. Sprinkle top with granulated sugar and press in with rolling pin.
Cut dough into neat fingers (approx. 1×2½ inches). Lift on to greased baking sheet. Prick each biscuit 2 or 3 times with a fork. Bake at 160°C / 325°F / Gas Mark 3 for 15-20 minutes. Cool. Beat all remaining ingredients for filling together. Sandwich biscuits together in pairs.
- In May, 1814, the Bourbon reign was restored in France.
- Bourbon is an American whiskey, made primarily from corn, and named after Bourbon County, Kentucky.
- Spain and Luxembourg currently have monarchs who belong to the House of Bourbon.
- Bourbon biscuits were introduced by Peek Freans in 1910.
- The Palais Bourbon is the seat of the French Parliament. Bourbon Street in New Orleans is the site of the annual Mardi Gras parade.