Combine the raspberries, sugar and lemon juice in a bowl then force the mixture through a sieve using the back of a spoon or a rubber spatula. Arrange the peaches in serving glasses or bowls. Top with a scoop of ice-cream and pour over the raspberry sauce.
- Created by French chef Auguste Escoffier to celebrate Melba’s 1893 visit to London.
- Opera soprano Dame Nellie Melba died on 23rd February 1931.
- Melba was the first Australian to achieve international recognition as a classical vocalist.
- She was born with the name Helen Porter Mitchell.
- She took her professional surname from her home town of Melbourne.
- She was made a Dame for her charity work during World War I.
- She is featured on the current Australian $100 note.