Preheat the oven to 150°C / 300°F / Gas 2. Place the caster sugar and butter in a food processor. Process until creamed together. Add the plain flour and cornflour and blend briefly. Tip the mixture out onto a lightly floured working surface and bring it together into a dough. Flatten out the dough and roll it out, Cut it into 20-25cm rounds and place them on a baking sheet. Prick them and dredge with caster sugar.
Bake the shortbread for 50-60 minutes until set, taking care not to let it darken. Cool on a wire rack. To serve, take a shortbread round, top with a dollop of whipped cream, followed by some strawberries, then sandwich with another shortbread. Repeat the process until the shortbread rounds have been used up.
- On 3rd July 1806, the first cultivated red strawberry, the Keens Seedling, went on show in Middlesex.
- The strawberry is the only fruit to have its seeds on the outside.
- The average strawberry has about 200 seeds.
- An acre of land can produce about 20Mg (20,000kg) of strawberries.
- Strawberries belong to the rose family.
- There is a museum in Belgium entirely dedicated to the strawberry.