Victoria Sponge Cake
Preheat oven to 190°C / 375°F / Gas 5. Whisk together the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add the beaten eggs gradually with a little of the flour. Fold in the remaining sieved flour and add the flavouring. Divide equally between two 15cm (6 inch) sandwich tins. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes.
Turn out on to a wire rack to cool. When cool, sandwich the cakes together with strawberry or raspberry jam. For an extra treat, add a layer of whipped cream and chopped fruit (strawberries or raspberries). Dust the top surface with sieved icing sugar.
- Named after Queen Victoria who died on 22nd January 1901.
- With a reign of nearly 64 years, Victoria is the longest-reigning British monarch.
- Her husband, Albert, was also her first cousin.
- Albert died 40 years before Victoria.
- Victoria and Albert had 9 children... and 42 grandchildren.
- Victoria was the Queen's middle name; her first name was Alexandrina.